In the $400 price category there are a lot of good smartphones with positive feedback from customers. But more than half of the gadgets are really bad due to weak hardware and lag OS. In this review, we are going to present the best phones you can by for $400. The rating is based on customers feedbacks, so it is subjective.
1 place – Xiaomi Mi6 ($370-395)
One of the best gadgets in the price segment is Xiaomi Mi6 based on the top processor Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 (Snapdragon 845 already exists). The phone is really successful and collects positive feedback. The reasons: the low price and powerful hardware, qualitative IPS-screen and boody.
- The diagonal of IPS-display: 5.15 inches. Resolution: 1920 × 1080.
- Two rear cameras with 12 Mp resolution, optical stabilization.
- 6 GB of RAM and 64 GB of memory.
The main feature of the smartphone is a powerful chipset that provides a high speed. It will easily run any application available on Play Market and a game without brakes. If someone expects to see high-quality images on a 2-module camera, the expectations will not be justified. In bright light, the camera shoots without noise and captures details in the dark and light areas of the scene, but complex scenes, especially in low light, are not good.
- Build quality.
- A powerful chipset and a large amount of RAM.
- Low price.
- Fast and accurate fingerprint scanner.
- Loud stereo speakers.
- Normal camera. In this price category there is a better one.
- Slippery casing.
- Glitches in OS: if you use the Internet and communicate through different SIM cards, the main number becomes unavailable.
- Can be easily scratched.
- The battery discharges quickly, but there is enough for a day.
Xiaomi Mi6 takes the first place deservedly – our recomendations.
2 place – Huawei Honor 9 ($360-380)
The new phone of the Chinese manufacturer Huawei – Honor 9 – received positive reviews, although this is not a flagship. The model is average, but with flagship ambitions.
- The screen with diagonal of 5.15 inches, resolution – 1920×1080.
- Dual rear camera with 20 and 12 Mp resolution and aperture f / 2.2.
- Processor HiSilicon Kirin 960 with video accelerator Mali-G71 MP8.
- 4 GB of RAM and 64 GB of memory.
- Battery for 3200 mAh.
A unique feature of the phone is a camera with two modules – monochrome and color. The first one gets information about lighting when shooting, the second – about color. Then, with the help of software, two frames are combined into a photo with a wide dynamic range.
The phone is equipped with a screen with a smart resolution – it can be changed from FullHD to HD to save battery power.
- Good camera with a wide dinamic range.
- Stylish modern design.
- There is an NFC and an infrared port.
- Good processor Kirin 960.
- No optical stabilization, so in the automatic mode and with low light there are noises.
- The phone heats up under load.
- Chinese version of the phone doesnt support 4G-frequences.
Taking into account the advantages, disadvantages and prices, we put the phone on the second place of the rating. The camera here is better than in the Xiaomi Mi6, but the processor is weaker.
3rd place – Samsung Galaxy S7 ($385-415)
This isbest flagship in 2016, which at that time got a reference camera. The model is a little outdated, but the features and capabilities exceed the parameters of modern phones of the middle price segment.
- 5.1-inch Amoled-display with a resolution of 2560×1440.
- Camera with 12 megapixel resolution, optical stabilization, aperture f / 1.7, Dual Pixel technology.
- Processor: Samsung Exynos 8890 with 8 cores.
- 4 GB of RAM and 32 GB of memory.
- The battery with 3000 mAh.
- IP68 Water-protection, function Always-on-Display.
The model has turned out so successful that even today it is better tnan many smartphones in the middle price segment. The camera makes great shots, and it is approximately equal to Huawei Honor 9 and P10 in terms of quality level. It got optical stabilization, and the lens is more light-sensitive, which will provide a better picture under bad light.
- Glasses easily scratched on both sides.
- Bad headphones included.
- It is heated on a fast charge.
- The fingerprint sensor does not always work the first time.
- The front camera is weak. Samsung has focused only on the rare module.
We recommend this old flagship as one of the best phones in the price category of $380-400.
4th place – Nokia 8 ($350-380)
Previously, Nokia’s smartphones were not popular, but now the company’s flagships are on store shelves. The model of the average price segment Nokia 8 is based on the well-known powerful chip Qualcomm Snapdragon 835.
- The screen with a diagonal of 5.3 inches and a resolution of 2560×1440.
- Rear camera with 13 and 13 Mp resolution modules. There is optical stabilization, diaphragm f / 2.
- Processor: Snapdragon 835 with video processor Adreno 540.
- 4 GB of RAM and 64 GB of memory.
- The battery capacity of 3090 mAh.
- Quick work GPS – the phone instantly detects the satellite and connects to it, the location on the map is determined immediately.
- Water protection IP54.
The phone received a cool screen and ergonomics, the new processor of 2017 year and a good camera, that is far from perfect. Buyers talk about high-quality sound from headphones and speakers, GSM-module, which catches communication almost everywhere. The phone has three microphones for recording sound (Nokia OZO technology), which allows you to record surround sound when recording video.
- The camera has a meager set of functions. The manufacturer did not put any settings into the app and did not implement complex technologies. However, the photos are good, but not perfect. When shooting a video, you can not pause and continue shooting.
- The battery discharges quickly. This is not surprising, given the powerful hardware and display with 2K-resolution.
- Reliability is doubtful. Dropping the phone from a height of 1 meter is accompanied with its death.
- You can not transfer applications to the memory card on your phone.
Buy a model or not – it’s up to you. On the web, it collects positive reviews, so it’s appropriate to include the phone in the rating.
5th place – Meizu Pro 7 ($350-400)
This unique phone of the Chinese brand is very close to flagship category. Its feature is the second screen on the back side, which displays time, missed calls and even allows you to make selfies.
- Amoled-display with a diagonal of 5.2 inches and a resolution of 1920×1080. Additional display – also Amoled diagonal of 1.9 inches.
- Dual rear camera with a resolution of 12 and 12 megapixels. Aperture f / 2, sensor SONY IMX386.
- Front camera with a resolution of 12 megapixels.
- Processor MediaTek Helio P25 with video accelerator Mali-T880 MP2.
- 4 GB of RAM and 64 GB of memory.
- The phone turned out to be productive, but the Helio P25 processor is not flagship. The gadget is easy to use, equipped with a good camera for its price category and has additional screen. The sound in the phone is at a high level (audio chip CS43130 Master HIFI).
- There is no NFC, but today it is a fashion trend.
- The processor copes with the standard tasks,, and “heavy” applications slow it down.
- The battery capacity of 3000 mAh hardly lasts until evening with WatsApp constantly on, 2-3 hours of games. The quick charge function smoothes this minus.
- A weak camera that makes photos with noises if there is slightest deviation from ideal shooting conditions.
The phone is beautiful and stylish, with an extra display and high build quality. It is not a competitor to the TOP flagships of 2016-2017, but he confidently holds leadership positions among the models of the middle price segment.
There are still great smartphones that are worthy of getting into this rating:
- iPhone 6 – $350.
- Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact – $370-400.
- OnePlus 3T – $370.
- Xiaomi Mi Note 3 – $340-370.
- Samsung Galaxy A8 (2018) – $370-400.
TOP is subjective and based on feedback from customers.