Microwave will be a good assistant for any housewife in the kitchen. But, like any other kitchen appliances, it has its advantages and disadvantages. What exactly they are?
Obvious advantages of microwaves
Microwave stove has a number of advantages:
- It takes up little space and it is easy to use;
- Temperature mode and cooking time is automated;
- Doesn’t heat the air in the kitchen, because there is no open flame;
- Easy to defrost and to warm up convenience foods;
- It is suitable for the cooking dietary dishes without fat;
- Products that cooked in a microwave oven retain vitamins;
- Cooked food can be dish up in the same crockery.
Comparing the pros and cons of the microwaves, we can note the ability of these ovens not only to cook and reheat, but also to bake dishes. In convectional ovens and in models with grill meals are well fried until golden brown.
Read more about convection in microwaves
Disadvantages of microwaves
When buying a microwave oven of a particular model, we trust the manufacturer’s warranty and the sellers explanations. But it is good to know in advance about the inconvenience of using this type of household appliance.
- The main disadvantage of a microwave oven is considered to be increased background of the electromagnetic radiation. But it is known that the distribution of radiation outside of the microwave chamber occurs only after many years of exploitation.
- Another disadvantage is an unusual taste of the dishes, that is different from the usual cooked on the stove or in the oven.
- Microwave stove is uneconomical. Its energy consumption large – 1000 watts of power required to cook meat or potatoes.
- Microwave oven limits the number of conventional recipes. It is impossible to toast with plenty of sunflower oil, you cannot cook eggs and great pies.
- It is not desirable to turn on the device in idling or for heating something small.
The convenience of a microwave oven
When cooking a microwave oven doesn’t harm the humans body. Also using such a device gives a lot of facilities. Take milk from the fridge, put for a minute to a chamber of the microwave, and the milk is already warm. Preparing others dishes takes much less time too, and there is no necessity to stand at the stove.
Another advantage: cooking in such stove requires much smaller amount of sunflower oil or other fats. It should be added that the microwave oven saves about 80% of vitamin C, while the dishes that prepared by traditional methods contain about 40-60%. And the World Health Organization (WHO) has confirmed the safety of using of microwave as a cooking device.
Dangers of microwave ovens
However, there are also disadvantages in microwave ovens. People often talk about the bad effects of the prepared meals. There is a theory: microwaves don’t only heat dishes, but also change their structure. As a result new compounds are formed that are not present when traditional cooking.
Changes at the molecular level may be harmful. Some specialists advise to eat meals from the microwaves not immediately, but after 20 minutes. But it’s just a guess. Recently we wrote about microwaves danger, where came to the conclusion: it is not so bad.
Research in the USA revealed: foodstuffs that were prepared in the microwave stove have molecules with microwaves radiation. They may be harmful for people.
The USSR after the war also conducted a research. The result of this research was a ban of using such an appliance as a microwave stove (it has an adverse effect on biological food).
Manufacturers about microwaves danger
There is no harmful effects from the medicine point of view. This appliance has metal walls that don’t let emitting to get out from the chamber. The impact of the magnetron becomes dangerous on the distance no less than 5 cm. In the rest the microwave oven is completely safe, and the cooked with micro waves food don’t differ from dishes that been cooked in other way.